Welcome to heaven! No not really, but these are Gifts from the Gaming Gods:

GamerGit: Head Bitch

Drahc: Ginger Bitch
JaffaKira: Editor Bitch
Craig: Craig

This blog aims to bring you never-up-to-date news and not-all-that-amusing reviews for games from around the globe but mainly England. Have fun and subscribe... Please send cake.



18/11/2008

Multiwinia Review - Retro Styleee!!



This is my first review for this site and I wanted to do a game that was relatively new but which wasn't in the public eye. Thus my choice of game was Multiwinia. This indie game from developers Introversion is the spiritual sequel to darwinia a virtual world RTS where you command stick men to go and attack other stick men in a, frankly brutal, manner. This makes for a fairly entertaining game.


In terms of review however I'm going to start with the visuals. Let's be frank, their stunning. I wouldn't normally say this about a game that is based around as few and as far between animations as you will find. However its the retro feel that makes this special. Your multiwinians float across the battlefield in such an old fashioned way that only a few games of today can pull off. Despite the simplistic design the system requirements for this game are higher than expected. With a minimum CPU of 2.0GHz and a minimum of 512mb RAM, this is more likely than not to do with the frequent and ridiculously awesome explosions throughout the game, but more on that later.


The basic gameplay consists of a simplistic RTS structure coupled with common FPS game types and this actually works really well. The RTS half could do with being a little more complicated as this game has no building to do nor does it have any variation in unit types. This small gripe aside the game actually holds up quite well as an RTS. The idea behind the command of the troops is that you create officers to direction your units from your spawn points. Officers are also used to organise your troops into a formation which provides a slow moving block of units hat has a greater firepower and range to normal troops. I love the idea of creating battle lines using these formations and it really gives you a feeling of being a commander. The game modes vary from a rush to collect spawn points in domination to attacking an enemy post in assault to capture the flag, except with giant statues...? All are incredibly fun to play and absolutely mental once you start getting into it.


This is not a game to be taken seriously. I just thought I'd mention that before what I'm about to say, if your a competitive player I do not recommend this. Basically this game is not entirely balanced. Let me give you an example. I was playing a king of the hill match and me and an opponent were tied for the number of zones however I was ahead in terms of points. There was a minute left in the game and things were looking good for me. My estimated points were ahead of his and I was set to win. Before I know it half my troops are blown into a thousand tiny pieces and I loose a zone allowing my rival to career off to victory. How did he do this you say, well with crate drops. These have to be one of the most awesome things about this game, no 2 maps are the same. The crate system really shines in this game. Basically each crate is dropped in a position on the map and whoever opens it gets a random event. Be this gun turrets, napalm strikes or a killer virus there really is no way to tell. But this is what makes the game so fun. There is nothing quite like opening a napalm strike onto someone who holds the middle of 3 flags on a blitzkrieg game and completely turning the tide of battle.



The thing you have to bear in mind is that this isnt a full game. It is worth the £5-10 that you will pay for it and every second I have played so far I have enjoyed. However as you play the game the question that is constantly bugging you is "will it be fun in a couple of months". If I'm honest. Yes. Though simplistic it manages to keep you entertained throught the experiance and each game is different. All games get old at some point but its so cheap thats not something we should be worrying about

This is why this game is special and this is why it keeps you coming back for more (even if you suck as badly as I do).



JaffaKira

No comments: